Hi, this is Jane Brown and I am excited to share a few tips with you on controlling and measuring your portion sizes that I hope you will find helpful when you are deciding what to eat.
Most Diabetics struggle with deciding what to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat.
While chatting with these friends, I found that most of them were shocked at how much they were overeating. The main reason you should be concerned if you are Diabetic or pre-diabetic is that it is one of the key components to controlling your own blood sugar levels and ultimately, feeling healthier. Once you understand how you can visually measure your portions, I am sure you will not need measuring cups. But to start with – it is a good idea to use a measuring cup to test the tips that I have provided below.
I have only provided these tips as a guideline to controlling your meal portions. Please take the time to discuss these suggestions with your Doctor or Healthcare provider.
5 Tips for Diabetics on Controlling Meal Portions:
- Choose low in fat and high
- SIZE: Fist size with each meal
2. Vegetables and Fruit
- Include one fruit with Breakfast
- Include 2 or more veggies with lunch and dinner
- A fruit or veggie: Excellent choice for a snack
- Choose fresh not canned
- SIZE: Hold hands together and fill with veggies
3. Milk/Dairy/Calcium Packed Foods
- 1 or 2 low fat portions with every meal
- One serving of milk or yogurt: 1/2 to 1 cup (One serving fish: 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- Choose low fat milk, soy milk, yogurt and cheese or tofu
- Choose canned fish in water
- SIZE: Thumb size of cheese, tofu and nuts
- Women: 3 to 5 ounces
- Men: 4 to 7 ounces
- Choose red meats, eggs and fish only two or three times a week
- SIZE: Size of your palm for main meal (half or less for 2 other meals per day)
- Choose Omega 3’s, seeds, nuts
- SIZE: Each meal 1 to 2 tsp or Tip of your Thumb
Being knowledgeable about the portions sizes that you are consuming will help you to feel better and control your blood sugar levels from spiking out of control.
Remember drink plenty of water and exercise on a regular basis. Stay healthy and live longer!
No action should be taken solely on its content; regardless of the perceived scientific merit, instead readers should consult health care professionals on any matter related to their health. The information obtained from referenced materials are believed to be accurate, as presented by their respective authors, but Activa Naturals assumes no liability for any personal interpretation. Readers, previous and future customers who fail to consult their Physicians prior to the purchase and subsequent use of any product, assume the risk of any adverse effects.
Information on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. Activa Naturals is providing this site and its contents on an "as is" basis and makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to this site or its contents. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither Activa Naturals nor any of its directors, employees or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.